In 1900, A.B. Dunlap of Shawnee, Oklahoma bought the Southeast corner of Main and Broadway in Ada, Oklahoma, for the First National Bank (101 East Main). Before completion of the First National Bank building in 1901, the bank was opened in Albert Nettles' hardware store (129 West Main), with U.G. Phippin from Whitewright, Texas, in charge. The bank was acquired by P.A. Norris several years later with Stonewall Jackson (named after the Civil War hero) becoming the President of the bank which he later sold.
On October 30, 1924, because of pending insolvency due to the "Cotton Bust of 1924," there was a run on the bank. During the run, P.A. Norris stood on a chair in the lobby and made the announcement that he was repurchasing. Based on Mr. Norris' respected reputation, his announcement stopped the run on the bank. The people of Ada went home with a new found confidence based on Mr. Norris' ability to recapitalize and run First National. This event renewed the Norris ownership, which continued until 1981, when controlling interests were sold to C.A. Vose, Jr. In 1990, C.A. Vose, Jr., sold controlling interest in First National Bank to a group of local investors. At this time, the employees were the largest stockholders through the Employee Stock Ownership Plan and Trust. The ESOP has since terminated. To this date, the bank remains locally owned with $651 million in assets, 19 ATMs and eight banks in seven communities.
P.A. Norris 1924-1942
Frank C. Norris January 1943-April 1947
P.A. (Phillip) Norris, Jr. April 1947-January 1948
John C. Norris January 1948-January 1955
P.A. (Phillip) Norris, Jr. January 1955-January 1964
Benton Browning January 1964-February 1981
C.B. Howard February 1981-January 1982
E. Wilson Roberts January 1982-February 1987
Loren P. Miller February 1987-September 1989
E. Wilson Roberts January 1990-June 1990
C.B. Howard June 1990-August 1990
James R. Hamby August 1990-Present
August 10, 1927: The First National Bank in Ada becomes a member of the Federal Reserve Board.
October 1, 1959: The bank becomes the First National Bank and Trust Company of Ada.
September 7, 1961: The motor bank was built at 200 East 12th Street in Ada.
1984: The bank opened a brokerage service, under a subsidiary named First Ada Financial Services.
June 7, 1997: The Arlington Center branch was opened in Ada.
January 1, 2000: The holding company acquired Prague National Bank and its branch in Meeker,
and welcomed its employees into the First National Bank of Ada family.
April 3, 2005: The bank's name was changed to Vision Bank.
April 17, 2006: The Durant bank was opened.
January 2007: The bank acquired its Operations Center on 14th Street in Ada.
March 2007: The Sherman Loan Production Office was opened.
June 1, 2007: The Shawnee Loan Production Office was opened.
June 16, 2008: The new Prague bank building opened.
November 2008: The newly rebuilt motor bank on 12th Street was opened.
September 21, 2009: The Shawnee bank was opened.
May 19, 2010: The Sherman Loan Production office was closed.
November 7, 2011: The Arlington Center location moved to its new building at 1901 Arlington Street in Ada.
December 1, 2012: The bank purchased the Community Bank of the Arbuckles in Sulphur and Davis.
Refer us to your friends to receive FREE gifts.
Helping you get into your dream home.